Founded in 1898, The Minikahda Club is the oldest country club west of the Mississippi and a premier club in the region. The City of Minneapolis has grown up around the Club. A group of young picnickers were so impressed by the spot they found atop a hill overlooking Lake Bde Maka Ska, they acquired the land and set out to form a club for social functions and golf. Today, The Minikahda Club is a year-round full-service club with a vast offering of social, dining and sport activities. The name Minikahda comes from the Dakotah, a combination of two words meaning, “by the side of the water.” The Club logo, in fact, depicts a Native American shield, similar to the artifact framed in the Clubhouse. The Minikahda Club has approximately 1,275 members, comprising approximately 475 families and a single class of membership. To better prepare the Club for the future, a comprehensive Campus Plan was approved in 2018. As part of that plan, the Club completed a re-grassing of its historic Donald Ross-designed golf course and replaced the golf shop with a new building that provides a year-round practice facility. The classic Ross design has played host to a number of major events including the 1916 US Open, the 1927 US Amateur, the Walker Cup in 1957, the Women's Amateur in 1988, the Curtis Cup in 1998, and the US Senior Amateur in 2017. The course is ranked among the best in the state by Golf Digest and was ranked #102 in Golfweek's Top classic courses in 2020. All course restoration work, led by Kyle Franz, will be complete this fall and currently the Club is in the process of developing a long-term strategic and facilities master plan.
The Minikahda Club and Head Golf Professional, Michael Congdon, are seeking a Full-Time Assistant Golf Professional to begin as soon as possible. An invested mentor/membership network, indoor teaching facility, world-class golf course, and team-focused staff are among the many resources which the successful candidate will have to develop his or her career.
Position Concept: The Assistant Golf Professional will work within the stated guidelines of the facility to aid in the planning, organizing, budgeting, promoting, conducting, scheduling, and developing all golf programs and operations at The Minikahda Club.
The position requires an outstanding golf professional who possesses good communication and managerial skills. The position should have extensive experience in golf instruction, club fitting, tournament operations, pro-shop operations, junior golf experience as well as the passion required to become a Head Golf Professional or a Director of Golf.
Specific Responsibilities to Include But Not Limited to:
• Assist in the supervision and management of the total golf operations in an professional manner..
• Provide excellent customer services, professional advice and assistance to all patrons.
• Assist in managing the total operation of the practice facility, simulator, and TrackMan bays.
• Provide golf instruction and clinics that is consistent with instructional methods, policies and procedures.
• Supervise, schedule and train golf personnel as directed by the Head Golf Professional.
• Assist in the purchasing, receipt, display, inventory, control, promotion and sales of merchandise.
• Manage the club repair business.
• Conduct oneself in a professional manner and maintain a professional image.
• Be informed of and promote all club activities and services.
• Stay up to date on latest club technology, fitting equipment and teaching methods/technologies.
• Manage the handicap program.
• Assist in planning and budgeting for the golf operations.
• Strong concentration in managing tournaments and outings.
• Play golf with all different segments of members, to include; Men, Women, Seniors & Juniors.
• Represent The Minikahda Club in community service and Sectional/National tournaments..
• Seek and attend continuing educational opportunities in a variety of industry topics.
• Maintain extensive contact with supervisors and club management to ensure teamwork and seamless integration of all operations throughout the club.